Our greatest reward is when a new client tell us that we were enthusiastically endorsed by a fellow coffee lover who enjoys in our coffee. The validation from the outside world compels us to strive to keep new and future coffee lovers enthralled.
As we created this list retrospectively, we have excluded some accolades. While awards are great we love the feedback from those that try our coffees.
Shot in the Dark
The shot in the Dark competition is the South African Roasting competition. Each competitor gets given the same coffee. The roaster then adds their interpretation to that coffee. The competition has evolved a lot since 2018. We have competed 4 times. Our results:
- 2018 – Third in the African coffee division, tied with Urban express coffee
- 2019 – Did not place in the top 10
- 2020 – Second in the final
- 2021 – Missed the top 10 in a count out.
Coffee Magazine Awards
The South African coffee magazine began running their own awards in 2018. The nominations are from people within the industry, so this is recognition by your peers. A panel decides who wins. We have never won these, but have received the following nominations:
- 2018: Nomination for roastery of the Year.
- 2019: Nomination for roastery of the Year.
- 2020: Nomination for excellence in coffee.
- 2021: Nomination for roastery of the Year.
- 2023: Nomination for roastery of the Year.
Recognition related to our coffee
When our coffee is used in competitions or by Baristas, we have little control as to what the final product will be, but we are still proud to be recognised.
- 2016 Wezo came 6th at the Western Cape Barista competition with our Relationship blend.
- 2016 awarded top blend by Coffee Culture: The South African Coffee-lover’s Bible.
- 2019 Ndumiso came 5th in the Western Cape Barista competition with our Burundian Nyabiraba coffee.
- 2023 Invited to be one of the 14 roasters representing South Africa Specialty cofee at the Sopecialty Coffee Expo in Cape Town
- 2023 Invited by Marunic coffee (one of our green suppliers) to represent them at the Brazil specialty village.
Other awards and recognition
- 2012: Nominated for the South African E-commerce award.
- Certified Jura agent since 2007.
- 2018: Invited to judge at Aromas Mexico (taste of harvest).
- Nominated the best coffee subscription by my broadband forum 2021.
- 2023: Sacred Space | Quaffee nominated for best new café and brew alternative brewing experience.