The Rancilio Naked Portafilter fits all the Rancilio Silvia E61 heads.
A naked portafilter is a portafilter that has the spout and bottom removed, exposing the basket and the espresso extraction. Some people use a naked portafilter for the following reasons:
- It can help them check the quality and evenness of their extraction, and adjust their grinding, tamping, or distribution accordingly1.
- It can provide a visual satisfaction of watching the espresso flow from the basket to the cup2.
- It can reduce the cleaning and maintenance of the portafilter, as there are no spouts or crevices to trap coffee grounds or oils3.
However, using a naked portafilter also has some drawbacks, such as:
- It can be messy and splatter if the extraction is uneven or channeled1.
- It can be hotter and harder to handle than a spouted portafilter3.
- It can require a larger filter basket and a more precise dose of coffee to avoid overflowing3.
Ultimately, whether using a naked portafilter is a good idea depends on your personal preference and skill level. Some baristas swear by it, while others prefer the convenience and consistency of a spouted portafilter. The best way to find out is to try it yourself and see if you like the results.
About this item
- This Naked Portafilter is designed by Rancilio for use in a Rancilio Silvia and Silvia Pro machines.
- Provides immediate feedback and can see if channeling occurs right away.
- Bottomless portafilters are used as a training tool.
- Fits Group Head Size 58 millimeters.
- Comes with a standard triple shot basket (Not a calibrated one)
- Fits the 22g IMS calibrated basket.
- Dimensions: 23cm x 8cm x 5cm (W x L x D)
- Weight: 0.6kg
- Material: Stainless Steel construction
- Color: Black/Silver
- Brand: Rancilio